Monday, August 3, 2009

Michael Jackson and God

Some years ago Beliefnet reported that when Michael Jackson was a child garnering attention in the Jackson Five, he longed for time to play. The Sabbath Day offered a respite from the pressures of the stage. Fellow members of the Jehovah Witness church treated him like the rest of the congregation despite his stardom.

Jackson wistfully mused, “I miss the sense of community that I felt there. I miss the friends and the people who treated me like I was simply one of them. Simply human. Sharing a day with God.”

When I think of Michael Jackson, I think of the odd character who was depicted as a freak by the media. It’s easy to forget that before all the attention and money allowed him to fulfill all his fantasies, he was a little boy running around with the other children after services, wanting to be like everyone else, sharing a day with God.

Peter

You may also send your comments to assistant.webmaster@emmanuelunited.ca and I will make sure they are posted.

No comments: