Thursday, June 25, 2009

Father's Day

What a Father’s Day gift, to be able to listen to my father offering his reflections on fathers, family and faith with the Emmanuel community on Sunday. There was plenty of laughter and nodding of heads as he shared his memories and testimony.

He had asked me how long to speak. i suggested 15 minutes. He countered with 20. At 23 minuts he looked down at his watch and realized he had only convered one of his three points. My mother had warned him not to ramble. So he decided to wrap up it up on the spot. Mother knows best. At the door there were requests that he come back next week and continue on.

I caught a fragment of a radio show this week, asking, “If you could ask your father one question , what would it be?” Intriguing. After church we had a father’s day lunch and my sister asked my father, “Who taught you to dance?” And I learned another little piece of his life’s story.

We all have family members who are no longer with us to ask those questions. But there are members of your family or your church family or friends who are here and who have stories worth listening to and honouring.

Carpe Deum. Seize the day. Ask. Listen. Treasure.

Peter


You may also submit your comments to the assistant webmaster, assistant.webmaster@emmanuelunited.ca and I will ensure they are posted

No comments: